i hate small children in theory because they are loud and covered in something sticky and disgusting but in reality they show me their macaroni art project and i cry
REFASHION: a compilation of ladies singing songs originally sung by men. + [ LISTEN ]
i. high for this - ellie goulding (the weeknd) // ii. bohemian rhapsody - p!nk (queen) // iii. sail - macy gray (awolnation) // iv. little lion man - tonight alive (mumford & sons) // v. get lucky - daughter (daft punk) // vi. don’t you worry child - within temptation (swedish house mafia) // vii. wicked games - cœur de pirate (the weeknd) // viii. take care - florence + the machine (drake ft. rihanna) // ix. somebody that i used to know - ingrid michaelson (gotye) // x. there is a light that never goes out - sara lov (the smiths) // xi. smile - janelle monáe (nat king cole) // xii. bizarre love triangle - frente! (new order) // xiii. how soon is now - t.a.t.u. (the smiths) // xiv. it takes a muscle - mia (spectral display) // xv. oh! darling - florence and the machine (the beatles) // xvi. everybody wants to rule the world - lorde (tears for fears) // xvii. take on me - anni b. sweet (a-ha) // xviii. we will rock you - beyoncé, britney spears & p!nk (queen) // xix. i bet you look good on the dancefloor - baby charles (arctic monkeys) // xx. real love - regina spektor (john lennon) // xxi. your song - ellie goulding (elton john) // xxii. starstrukk - marina and the diamonds (3oh!3) // xxiii. lover of the light - rita ora (mumford & sons) // xxiv. you just haven’t earned it yet baby - kirsty maccoll (the smiths) // xxv. young volcanoes - tiffany alvord (fall out boy) // xxvi. don’t think twice, it’s all right - ke$sha (bob dylan) // xxvii. underdog - kelly rowland (kasabian) // xxviii. no surprises - regina spektor (radiohead) // xxix. paranoia android - sia (radiohead) // xxx. what do you want from me? - p!nk (adam lambert) // xxxi. let her go - within temptation (passenger) // xxxii. i want you back - janella monáe (jackson 5) // xxxiii. we are young - little mix (fun.) // xxxiv. rebel rebel - tegan & sara (david bowie) // xxxv. mirrors - ellie goulding (justin timberlake) // xxxvi. the district sleeps alone - birdy (the postal service)
Right now, 500 light years away from Earth, there’s a planet that looks a lot like our own. It is bathed in dim orangeish light, which at high noon is only as bright as the golden hour before sunset back home.
NASA scientists are calling the planet Kepler-186f, and it’s unlike anything they’ve found. The big news: Kepler-186f is the closest relative to the Earth that researchers have discovered.
It’s the first Earth-sized planet in the habitable zone of another star—the sweet spot between too-hot Mercury-like planets and too-cold Neptunes— and it is likely to give scientists their first real opportunity to seek life elsewhere in the universe. “It’s no longer in the realm of science fiction,” said Elisa Quintana, a researcher at the SETI Institute.
But if there is indeed life on Kepler-186f, it may not look like what we have here. Given the redder wavelengths of light on the planet, vegetation there would sprout in hues of yellow and orange instead of green.
Read more. [Image: NASA Ames/SETI Institute/JPL-Caltech]
both your umbrella and the rain: "above all else the social network is a love story. and something of a tragic one, i suppose." (songs that are 120% written about mark and eduardo that aren’t by mumford and sons or the decemberists)
1. there’s no “i” in team taking back sunday [best friends means i pulled the trigger, best friends means you get what you deserved]
2. obvious blink 182 [can you comfort yourself with a sense of revenge]
3. red letter day the get up kids [we’re loyal like brothers, just us versus all the others, i trusted misleading promises worth repeating — how could you do this to me?]
4. grounds for divorce elbow [and i’d bring you further roses but it does you no good, and it does me no good]
5. west coast smoker fall out boy [got my degree in the gutter, my heart broken in the dorms of the ivy league]
6. make you smile +44 ["the last time i saw you you turned away" "i couldn’t see with the sun shining in my eyes"]
7. broken horse freelance whales [but, oh god, that curve in your spine — a question mark, a doctor’s sigh, was framed by the windowsill]
8. note to self from first to last [two roads split off from here and my life goes running in opposite directions]
9. joyride built to spill [i screwed her and she screwed me but we never once had sex]
10. soft shoulder ani difranco [and they missed fate’s appointed rendezvous]
11. love is dangerous blink 182 [we betray the ones we care about]
12. skin and bones charlene kaye [i’m never free, so i wait for your parade to come rain down on me]
13. baseball but better (acoustic) say anything [and if i froze here in the sand, my hand cold in your hand, i’d melt in your honour]
14. you’re so last summer taking back sunday [the truth is, you could slit my throat, and with my one last gasping breath i’d apologise for bleeding on your shirt]
bonus track: hand covers bruise + rainy mood trent reznor and atticus ross
Current obsession is a collaboration between Gisella Velasco and Toni Potenciano called “FLY ART” which they describe as “The best marriage on the internet: hip hop and art”. The pair combines a few of my favourite things: matching lyrics from different hip hop songs with pieces of art, ranging from the Renaissance to Post-Modernism, and the result is amazing. Changing the context of the song and the piece introduce a really unexpected perspective, and I can’t get enough. These are a few of standouts (I am clearly drawn to Kanye and Beyoncé lyrics)
From Top: The Starry Night of Sierra Leone; Milkmaid Rollin That Body; Four N****s of the Apocalypse; One Good Venus; Princess Tarakanova In a Swimming Pool (Drank); The Paranoia; Get Lucky on a Summer Evening; Dont Kill Phaedra’s Vibe; H(eaven) Town Vicious; Bound 2 the Kiss